Skip to main content Skip to footer

Connect or Disconnect Your Service

Utility Services

Draper City provides water, storm water, and garbage/recycling services. Depending where you live in Draper, your water service may either be provided by the City or by WaterPro. Please enter your address in the Utility Services App to determine your water provider. 

Connect - Sign Up

In the Draper City Municipal Code, Section 16-1-05, the owner of the property is required to apply for water service, not the renter. Sign up for utility services through the city:

Draper City Equal Payment Plan

The Equal Payment Plan is a voluntary option for residents. In this plan, your monthly equal payment amount is calculated using your yearly usage from the previous billing year and divided equally over 12 months. To be eligible for the Equal Payment Plan you must be the property owner and have occupied your home for 12 months beginning January 1st of the prior year and have no late or missed payments within the period. Rental properties are not eligible for the Equal Payment Plan.

Draper City must receive this form before 5:00 PM on January 20 to participate in the Equal Payment Plan for the year that just began in January. Enrollment forms will only be reviewed each year between December 20 and January 20. Forms received outside of this window will be reviewed during the next period.

Apply for the Equal Payment Plan

Disconnect Service

If you have recently sold your property, please fill out a Termination of Service Form as soon as possible with your estimated closing date. Please contact us if the estimated date changes. 

Once you have filled out the termination form, we will close your account based on the date the warranty deed is recorded in the new owner’s name. If you have water service with Draper City you must notify the Utility Billing Department at least 48 hours before your scheduled closing date so we can request your final meter read. If a refund is due, Draper City will send this to you by mail to the forwarding address you provided in the Termination of Service form. Please allow four to six weeks for your refund to be processed.

Terminate your service as a(n):   

Military Abatement Agreement

Draper City has implemented a program to assist families residing in Draper, when the head of the household (husband or wife) is on active military duty in a designated combat zone. The city would like to help you with your water, garbage and storm water utility. Please complete the Military Utility Abatement Form and hand-deliver it to the Draper City Finance Department, along with a copy of the individual’s military orders. You will not be billed for applicable Draper City utilities. This program applies only to residential Draper City water users, and does not apply to Water Pro customers or customers of any other water provider.

Contact Us

Draper City Utility Billing Questions
(801) 576-6303

Draper City Water
After-Hours Emergency
(801) 831-7212

WaterPro/Draper Irrigation Customers After-Hours Emergency
(801) 571-2232

Storm Water After-Hours Emergency
(Including Illegal Dumping)
(385) 281-3568

Water/Storm Water Systems Maintenance
(801) 576-6557

Storm Water SWPPP
(801) 576-6331

Storm Water System Design Questions
(801) 576-6585

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.