Business Licensing

Draper Peaks.jpg

The Business Licensing Division issues business licenses, including special licenses such as alcoholic beverage licenses, home occupation, special/single event license, solicitor's license and temporary business license. It also manages renewals and processing business licensing fees.

How to Open a Business in Draper

Obtaining a business license is an important and fulfilling step in your journey to becoming a business owner. Our Business Licensing Division is here to help you along the way. In accordance with the provision of Section 6-2-030 of the Ordinance of the City of Draper, each business, vocation, trade, calling or profession shall pay an annual business license fee as found in the Business License Fee Schedule. Here are the steps to take to get started in Draper:

  1. Ensure you have registered your business with the state. The State of Utah has developed a One-Stop Online Business Registration website that streamlines the process of registering a new business. The site is available 24 hours a day. It will guide you through a series of questions designed to comply with federal and state government registration requirements.
  2. Check IRS online for Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) requirements. EIN's are issued for the purpose of tax administration. 
  3. Apply for a Draper City Business License*Please be aware that online payments are not available at this time. You may call our payment line at 801-576-6321 if you would like to pay by phone. 

The State of Utah provides step-by- step instructions on How to Start a Business and answers many questions about doing Business in Utah. This valuable resource can provide up-to-date information on state taxes, current laws and regulations, and Federal programs that may be available to assist the business owner. 


Waived Temporary Signage Posting Periods

To assist in drawing customers to your location, we have waived the posting period limits on temporary signs for all businesses until December 1, 2021. Businesses will still be expected to obtain a sign permit for the signs, but will not be limited on how long the sign can stay up. After the December 1, 2021 end to this temporary land use regulation, business will have to obtain a sign permit and comply with the posting periods found within Draper City Municipal Code Section 9-26-080(D). In addition, December has 23 days of free posting periods, as outlined below. No permit is required for signage during these days. To review the ordinance approving the posting period waiver, please see Ordinance 1492.  


Presidents Day and Valentine's DayFebruary for 5 days including the holiday
EasterMarch or April for 5 days including the holiday
Memorial DayMay for 5 days including the holiday
July 45 days including the holiday
July 245 days including the holiday
Labor DaySeptember for 5 days including the holiday
ThanksgivingNovember for 7 days including the holiday
Holiday seasonFor 23 days starting December 10 and ending January 2



Business Licensing Contact Information

Travis DeJong, Business License Official | 801-576-6530 | Email Travis

Please use the Department Directory to find the right team member to help you with your needs:
Community Development Department Directory