Apartment & Condo Safety
- Ensure your unit has been re-keyed before moving in.
- Exterior hinged doors should be of solid core construction and fitted with a 1" deadbolt lock and 180° door viewer.
- Use supplemental locking devices on sliding glass doors and windows.
- Interior and exterior lighting is important to security. Walkways, doorways, hallways, and parking areas should have sufficient illumination.
- Be aware of special security features the building and/or your unit might have and know how to use them.
- Be cautious in and around elevators. If you are suspicious of another passenger, wait for the next elevator. When you get in, stand near the elevator controls.
When You Go Out
- Always lock doors and windows.
- Never leave notes on your door.
- Connect lamps and radios to timers to give the impression that someone is home.
- Never leave a hidden key outside your apartment.
- Set answering machine volume to "low".
- Do not leave expensive items visible through your window.
- If you arrive home and suspect a stranger is inside, go to a neighbor's apartment or manager's office and call your local law enforcement agency.
Vehicle Parking Areas
- Lock your vehicle windows and doors.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle.
- Use car alarms, auxiliary locking devices, and fuel/ignition cut-off switches on your vehicle.
- Avoid parking in dark, isolated areas.
- Try to use the laundry room during daylight hours.
- Use the "buddy system" when going to the laundry room.
- Follow the established rules and do your part to keep the laundry room clean and well maintained.
- Don't prop open doors.
Pool, Recreation, And Other Common Areas
- Avoid these areas if not well-lit during the nighttime hours.
- Leave purses, wallets, and other valuables in your locked apartment or condominium when using common areas.
- Do not enter when strange or suspicious people are loitering about and tell your manager or security immediately.
- Restrict access to these areas to residents and invited guests only.
- Do not prop open doors or gates.