Getting Help

Abuse Victims

If you are being abused:
  • You can call police to report the violence.
  • You can get referral information from the domestic violence information line at (800) 897 LINK (5465) in Utah, or Draper City Crime Victim Advocate Program at (801) 576-6300.
  • The Draper City Victim Advocate Program can help with counseling, shelter and other services.
  • You can apply for a Protective Order.
  • The first step in breaking a pattern of violence is to tell someone. Confide in a friend or a family member; go to a neighbor or call the LINK line. The second step is taking action to ensure your safety and that of your family.

Abuse Witnesses

If you suspect someone you know is being abused:
  • You can ask about injuries and bruises that you notice, which may be evidence of abuse. You can offer assistance such as accompanying someone to a hospital, to the police station, or to court.
  • You can listen, without judging. Give someone the time to talk and believe what he/she says. Remind your friend that it is not his/her fault. Let them know they are not alone.
  • Realize that helping someone might be a slow process. The victim can sometimes choose to remain with an abuser.
  • You can call police if you are concerned that someone is in danger. Encourage the victim to also file a police report.
  • Encourage your friend to find resources like the Draper City Victim Advocate Program, or the Domestic Violence Link line.
  • Help the victim create and implement a safety plan.