The Legal Department provides legal services and advice to the Mayor, City Council, and staff on various legal issues and oversees a contract with a private law firm for prosecution services. The Legal Department is under the direction of City Attorney Mike Barker, who is responsible for administering the City's legal affairs. These responsibilities include the following:
- Provide legal counsel to the Mayor and City Council, City Manager, City boards and commissions, and City officers concerning their official duties.
- Draft and reviewing contracts
- Draft and reviewing municipal ordinances
- Advise City departments on insurance and risk management issues
- Manage outside legal counsel
- Manage or engage in advocacy before all state and federal courts.
City Prosecutor Daniel Van Beuge of Cowdell Law represents Draper City and handles most Class B and C misdemeanors and infractions such as city ordinance violations, traffic violations, DUIs, domestic violence, shoplifting, and minor drug and alcohol matters. He also handles many Class A misdemeanors in the district court system.
If you are looking for Draper City’s Court Services, click here.
To make a claim against Draper City for personal injury or property damage, please comply with the provisions of the Governmental Immunity Act of Utah Code Ann. § 63G-7-101, et. seq.
If you have questions, please contact the City’s Risk Manager:
1020 E. Pioneer Rd.
Draper, UT 84020
Ph: (801) 576-6322
Assistant City Attorney
Ph: (801) 576-6583
Daniel Van Beuge, Cowdell Law
Fax: (801) 576-6343